quinta-feira, junho 02, 2005

"I once employed an old Dorset labourer, a tall, slim, aristocratic figure, with an elegant, refined nose to match; he bore the well-known name of an ancient and distinguished Dorset family, and I have no doubt was well descended. He was decidedly a canny, not to say crafty, man. I gave him a holiday at Whitsuntide to visit his old home, but he overran the time agreed upon and returned some days late. Before I could begin the rebuke I proposed to administer, he produced a charming photograph of a ruined abbey near his old locality, and handed it to me as a present. «I thought upon you, master, while I was away, and knowing as you was fond of ancient things I've brought you this picture.» I was completely disarmed, and the rebuke had to be postponed «sine die»".

Do "Grain and Chaff from an English Manor" de que falei ontem.

Sem comentários: